Accessing Food During Covid-19
As we continue to social distance ourselves by staying at home our pantries and fridges deplete and will need to be replenished at some point. The following are some suggestions of how to get your groceries with limited contact:
Food Delivery Services – these food services will bring food directly to your home:
1. Speedy Delivery: 705-795-4411; www.speedy-delivery.ca (shop at Loblaws and Zehrs)
2. Instacart: www.instacart.ca
3. PC Express: www.pcexpress.ca – includes Zehrs, Loblaws, Real Canadian, No Frills, Fortinos, Valumart, Independent – please check locations for those that apply
4. CostcoGrocery: www.costco.ca – only for non-perishable foods and household supplies
**Some of these services charge a fee
Order and Pick-up Services – these services allow you to shop online and then you arrange a pick up time and they bring the groceries out to your car.
1. Click and Collect: Zehrs, Loblaws, Walmart, No Frills – check websites
For any of the above options please be aware there may be a 3 day wait time d/t the high demand for home delivery services – so plan ahead. Also please indicate if substitutions are ok – food choices run out quickly so the store shoppers like to know if they can substitute one brand for another.
If you do choose to go grocery shopping please keep the following in mind:
1. Pick a designated shopper in your home who will always do the shopping to reduce exposure.
2. Wear gloves and mask while shopping.
3. Keep your distance from other shoppers.
4. Bring a grocery list to reduce time spent in the store.
5. Buy only what you need – hoarding reduces the availability for others.
6. After putting your groceries in the car please do not drop your gloves and mask on the ground. Please bring a Ziploc bag/bag with you to place them in and use hand sanitizer to clean your hands after.
If any of the above seem overwhelming or not a possibility consider asking a friend or family member to do your grocery shopping and deliver to you.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact your dietitian at the Georgian Nurse Practitioner Led Clinic – Jennie McCurdy 705-722-1581
Stay safe and take care of yourself.