Holiday season is upon us and for the next couple months seasonal treats are easily accessible. For example, colleagues bring leftover Halloween candy to the office, Christmas cookie exchanges begin and seasonal parties start to be every weekend. The following are a few tips that can help you get through the holidays without adding extra pounds on the weigh scale.
1. Eat 3 well-balanced meals every day. Do not skip meals – if you skip a meal you will make yourself hungrier for the next meal, causing you to overeat.
2. Keep temptation out of the house – out of sight out of mind. Avoid using the excuse “I keep it in my house for my children and grandchildren” – they don’t need the junk food either.
3. Tune into your emotional hunger – if you are craving food because of an emotion try to deal with that emotion using a non-food soothing strategy. For example, if you are reaching for ice cream because you are upset, instead call a friend or go for a walk.
4. Drink water – sometimes we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty. Drink some water, if you are still hungry after choose a healthy snack.
5. Wait it out – cravings tend to go away after 10 minutes so find something to distract yourself and get your mind off your craving.
There is a time and place for everything, including enjoying seasonal goodies occasionally. If you decide to eat your treat be smart about how much you eat and remember to enjoy it!
If you have questions or would like to meet with the Georgian Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinic Dietitian, please call the clinic and ask for Jennie.
Have a safe and healthy holiday!